Winter storms and cold temperatures can be hazardous. Although winter comes as no surprise, many of us are not ready for its arrival. If you are prepared for the hazards of winter, you will be able to keep your customers safe and healthy when temperatures start to fall. No matter what weather this winter brings, you can take steps today to make sure you and your stores are prepared!
So what can you go to prepare?
Here's a winter readiness checklist to help get you started:
Check winter supplies & restock early to avoid out-of-stocks:
1. De-icing compound
2. Snow shovel(s)
3. Sand to improve traction
4. Winter squeegee bucket solution
Perform preventative maintenance for winter equipment as necessary (e.g. snow blower, generator). Winterize your facility:
1. Test run your heating system, replace air filters as necessary, and clean vents as needed.
2. Insulate exposed piping and exterior faucets.
3. Check windows, doors and other building penetrations for gaps or cracks in seal, and repair.
4. Inspect roof for missing or damaged shingles and have them replaced. Also check flashing around edges or roof-mounted equipment.
5. Inspect gutters and downspouts for blockages.
6. Turn off and winterize irrigation systems.
Revisit your contingency plan with employees:
1. Test employee communication system for emergency notification.
Revisit vendor contracts for winter services like plowing or deicing.
Have CAF winter products on hand to continue providing excellent customer experience:
SAFE PATH™ Liquid De-Icer and Pretreat:
Pretreat and de-ice walkways to help prevent slipping hazards.
FRIGO® Winter Additive:
Ensure your squeegee buckets don’t freeze when temperatures drop by adding FRIGO to ORUS.
For more information about SAFE PATH and FRIGO, check out our other blog posts:
SAFE PATH – How to Prevent and Manage Icy Sidewalks
FRIGO – How to Prevent Wiper Fluid from Freezing