How to Clean an Electric Vehicle Charging Station Top to Bottom
With EV charging stations being a symbol for clean energy, you would expect their exterior to be clean as well.
As electric vehicles (EV) increase in popularity, more and more EV charging stations are popping up. However, many public charging stations are located outside without a canopy to protect them from the elements. Some EV charging stations are already showing signs of damage like scratched screens, mildew accumulation, and even cracked plastic and discoloration caused from harsh UV rays. To extend the life of your EV charging station, use this top to bottom EV charging station cleaning method.
Step One: Clean Surfaces with OTIS Multi-Surface Cleaning Wipes
1. Open container lid and pop open center cap on top of lid. Remove the entire lid from the OTIS Wipes container.
2. Open the small, circular center opening in the lid. Insert the loop on the lid into the X-shaped opening.
- Pull the first, center wipe in the container, and insert a corner of the wipe into the loop.
- Pull the loop back through the lid opening and reattach the lid.
3. Clean surface with OTIS Wipes. For detailed cleaning, squeeze excess solution from wipe.
- OTIS Wipes can clean the EV charging station’s pedestal, cable, charge connector holster/cradle, and pedestal’s concrete base. Pay attention to cleaning areas where customers frequently touch.
Note: Otis Multi-Surface Cleaner Concentrate also works great for cleaning excessive buildup of grime.
Step Two: Polish and Protect with PROTERO® Premium Surface Polish or LUXSS® Polish & UV Protectant Wipes
(After using OTIS to clean the surfaces, use either PROTERO or LUXSS to polish surfaces and protect from UV damage.)
Needed Materials for PROTERO:
- PROTERO Premium Surface Polish
- Latex Gloves
- Clean Cloth or Towel
Cleaning Instructions for PROTERO:
1. Start by putting on latex gloves and spraying PROTERO directly on clean towel.
2. Wipe surface with even pressure to polish and shine.
- There are many different types of surfaces that make up an EV charging station’s pedestal frame. PROTERO can be used on stainless steel, painted metal, aluminum, hard plastics, and more.
- Be careful and make sure PROTERO does not get on screen displays. It will leave streaks on screens and glass.
Needed Materials for LUXSS:
Cleaning Instructions for LUXSS:
1. Open canister lid to reveal LUXSS Wipes and pull through top opening and reseal lid to canister.
2. Start at the top of the EV charging surface and work your way down, polishing and applying even pressure.
- Use LUXSS Wipes to polish the EV charging station’s cable, and charge connector holster/cradle.
Note: LUXSS provides UV protection up to 80%. With its special formula, it will leave your EV charging station’s surface with a protective finish and shine that will help prevent sun, dirt, and water spot damage.
Step Three: Preserve Screen Display with 360 CLEAN™ Glass Cleaner and SKINZZ™
- 360 CLEAN Glass Cleaner Concentrate
- 32 oz spray bottle
- Access to Water
- Clean Cloth or Towel
Create Your Cleaning Mixture for 360 CLEAN Glass Cleaner:
1. With both bottle caps secure, tip the bottle following the direction of the arrow on the bottle and allow to fill.
2. Return upright and allow excess to drain.
3. Remove cap from measuring section, add to 32 oz spray bottle and then fill spray bottle with water until full.
1. Start cleaning screen display with 360 CLEAN Glass Cleaner.
2. Spray surface with light mist.
3. Wipe dry with a clean cloth or towel.
4. After the screen display has been cleaned, begin the process for applying SKINZZ.
- Make sure the surface is free of dust and dirt because if not then bubbles or adhesions may appear.
5. Begin applying SKINZZ by peeling away the lining to expose the adhesive backing. Avoid touching SKINZZ adhesive side.
6. Spray the SKINZZ application solution on the adhesive side and apply SKINZZ to the equipment surface.
7. Center SKINZZ Protective Shield on the equipment surface and use the squeegee to remove excess solution and air bubbles from under the SKINZZ Protective Shield. Use a cloth to soak up excess solution around shield edges.
Note: SKINZZ hard-coat surface protects against vandalizing scratches, graffiti, acid etching, hard-water stains, and 98% of harmful UV rays. Contact us for custom cut SKINZZ sizes for your EV charging station’s screen display.
Step Four: Finish Cleaning EV Charging Station with SPRAY&GO®
- SPRAY&GO Moss, Mold, Mildew, & Algae Stain Remover
- 32 oz sprayer
- Access to Water
Create Cleaning Mixture:
1. Pump six (6) oz of SPRAY&GO into 32 oz sprayer (one (1) pump = one (1) oz).
2. Fill the rest of the sprayer with water.
1. Apply SPRAY&GO solution to dry surface stain at the pedestal’s base and continue to apply until surface is thoroughly saturated. A second application may be required when treating persistent stains.
2. Walk away and allow to air dry.
3. Surface stain will be washed away when exposed to the elements like wind and rain.
- If the surface to be treated is not fully exposed to rainfall or is vertical, some assistance may be required to remove stains.
Note: If mildew stains on concrete are not very severe, then use OTIS Multi-Surface Cleaner Concentrate for quick removal.
With EV charging stations still being a new type of equipment, there is not much information on how they will hold up over the years. On the internet, there is a lot of vague information about EV charging stations with no real solutions on how to properly maintain one. However, by using OTIS, PROTERO, LUXSS, 360 CLEAN Glass, SKINZZ, and SPRAY&GO, your EV charging stations will be protected from the outdoor elements and last longer.